Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Get Uncomfortable

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of the feedback on my "Who Do I Want To Be?" post! It really means a lot. It is comforting to know that we are not alone on this journey to finding our purpose.

Speaking of comforting, one of the common denominators in books and articles that I have read urges us "purpose seekers" to get out of our comfort zones. Our comfort zone is what we know and where we feel safe. Hiding out in this safe haven can prohibit our growth and hold us back. Basically, if we do what we have always done, we will get what we have always gotten. If you think about it, the most successful people we know did not become great by doing what was safe or easy for them. They had to step out there and challenge themselves.

During my vision board party, I declared that my word for 2015 would be "Transparent." According to Merriam-Webster, transparent means "being open and honest; not secretive." Well HONESTLY, we can be open and honest about YOUR stuff, but we canNOT be open and honest about MY stuff because I do not like talking about my feelings, dealing with emotions, or verbalizing my fears and insecurities. LOL! Seriously, that is how I feel and have always felt. For me, being transparent means being vulnerable. And honaaaaaay, I got issues with being vulnerable so that is way out of my comfort zone.

   

Soooo my first (baby) step to stepping out of my comfort zone and into my transparent self was finally making others aware of this blog. For me, writing the blog posts is the easy part. I have written many posts because I like writing, it is therapy for me, and I was the only one who could see them. However, when you put it out there for all to see, you subject yourself to the opinions, criticism, and judgment of others (which I am not here for, lol) so I had never told anybody about the blogs. This time, I decided to do something different so I sent a text with the link to a few people, three to be exact. One was my mom, who is my biggest cheerleader, and of course she sent it to the whole world. I am not going to lie, I cringed for an hour after I found out that she did that. I am very uncomfortable, but I am still here and I am going to keep going and see where it takes me.


~ Stay True


"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same."



6 comments:

  1. Ms. Stay True,
    Transparency is HARD!!! I liked being "lil miss perfect" and that's BS.. Glad to be on this trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Not sure what happened to my other reply.) Yes, lil miss perfect is right! We had to have it together...all the time. Unnecessary pressure. We do it to ourselves though. SMH.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm transparent to a certain degree; however, I think one of my issues "with transparency, or the lack thereof" that I hide is that I don't want others to know "Sway" still exists. I think I try to wear the hat of Consuela bc I'm a wife and a mother but Sway likes to still have fun and isn't quite ready to grow up...bc growing up means change, and a part of me isnt ready to change completely. It's a journey and I know that God isn't thru with me yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sway vs. Consuela. I don't think you hide it (or even need to). I think there is a time and place for both. We love Consuela, but we need Sway to exist too! It's part of who you are. Let her live! Lol.

      Delete
  3. Girl, that reply just gave me Life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kuddos Gabe, so happy for you for taking this step! I know this is a major part of you. :) Being open about wanting to be transparent is also a step in that direction. I do think it's okay to be private at times. As the saying goes, "Save some things for Jesus". (And me, lol). But I'm sure you won't have a problem with being too open. I work at not wearing my feelings on my face and speaking it. I'm going to sit back sip some tea and hush up! I'm #focused!
    -Ruth Alisha

    ReplyDelete